Saturday, August 16, 2014

Closet Capacity Goes from None to Some

Living in New York has its pains…. paying (incredibly) high rent for an (incredibly) small space, (trying) to catch a cab when it’s raining, riding (read: melting on) the subway in the summer months…Just to list a few.

I have yet to find a solution for the high rent, drenched walks home, or muggy subway rides, but what I have been able to do is maximize space in my (under) 400sqft studio apartment.

Finding an apartment in New York is a feat of its own, I’d reckon that it is near impossible not to feel defeated in the process. I looked at over 15 studio apartments before I “pulled the trigger” on mine. What this really means is that I looked at 15 apartments that were either smaller than my wing span, cost more than a Birkin Bag, or ranked a 10 on the 1-10 Dirty Scale.

So, when I walked into my (now) apartment, I quickly realized that I had to snatch it up…renovated, 2nd floor, in my price range, and four...yes, FOUR windows…I knew I had found a gem.

One thing that I didn’t think of: closet space.

You must think I am drinking again. (actually, I am…enjoying a nice glass of wine after a hellish Monday) but that is besides the point.

Here is my apartment before I moved in…







I get it, it is not much...but it was like striking gold during my apartment hunt. 
You've already seen the after .... but what I left out when I posted about my new studio in the city was the battle that my wardrobe fought with my closet (or lack-thereof)... if it wasn't for my drill, my level, a handful of screws, and Ikea, my clothes would still be on the floor.

With no real plan in place, I added the following items to my Ikea.com cart:

(4) MULIG Clothes bars 

(2) KVARTAL Triple Curtail Rail ,(4) KVARTAL Cieling Fixtures, and (2) packages of the KVARTAL Gliders and Hooks

As soon as they were all delivered I got to work.
3 Hours later, I had sore shoulders, tired hands, lots of pencil marks on my wall, and a "Custom" closet









  

Overall this project cost me under $100. I had the curtains already, the clothes bars were a mere $4.99 each, and the shelving units came in under $30.

Installation was a pain, but that was mostly because I was impatient and wouldn't wait for someone to help me. It took some acrobatics, and some spiderman-like moves, but in the end I am proud to say that I completed this solo.




No comments:

Post a Comment