Monday, January 7, 2013

Bedroom Re-Design for JMac

Goodness gracious I am exhausted. So tired that typing this is a bit taxing...but, I am super excited about this post, so I will push through :) 

I have spent the last 48 hours playing designer for a co-worker who is out of town on business. A few months ago, he asked me to build him a headboard (I love the fact that guys enjoy reading this blog just as much as girls!) and somehow that request morphed into a full blown bedroom re-design...and he is going to be surprised! He gave me no direction as to what he wanted his room to look like... he simply handed me his keys, a $700 check, and was off...

This was our conversation before he left for his trip...I had never seen his place, so I wanted to stop by and assess what I was working with....


This is what I found.

Yes, it's true. There is no frame under that bed and the TV is on something (still not sure what that something is) that is covered with a black sheet. Needless to say, I had my work cut out for me...hence my exhaustion mentioned above.

Without any input from JMac, I wanted to make sure the room I put together wasn't too much of one thing...not too modern, not too rustic, not to bold, not too plain. My goal was to design a room that appealed to all different tastes so that I didn't run in a direction that JMac wasn't fond of.

I used a clue from the shower curtain in his guest bath to come up with my color pallet-teal, black, grey, and tan. Luckily for me, these colors seem to be quite popular this season.

I did all of my shopping on Saturday, and all of the labor on Sunday. 

My Shopping List:
Bed Frame
Bedding
Curtain Rod and Curtains
Media Stand for TV
Picture Frames/Accessories
Material, Wood, & Mattress Pad for DIY headboard
New Nightstand (or materials to DIY one)
Hardware

In typical Made With Love, Paid with Pennies fashion- I was determined to find the best deals possible. Just because JMac gave me a $700 budget, didn't mean I had to spend every last bit of it.

This bed skirt was in the clearance section at Homegoods, and exactly what I was looking for! 

I also found two ottomans at Target for $17 each (in the 70% off clearance section)!! I wasn't sure what I was going to do with them until I was all finished with the room, but they are the perfect colors and tie everything together ( you can see them in the "after" photos below)

I DIYed a nightstand for less than $13 using a piece of wood from the As-Is section at (my favorite store) Home Depot, some black paint, and two corbels. (the photo below is obviously pre-paint and installation)

I even bargained with a mattress store associate for a bed frame. He wanted to charge me $85, I said "$60", and he said "okay"

I made all of the art in the room using Google and Microsoft Word.
JMac is a big UNC fan, so I made him this photo for one of his nightstands:

And just like what I did in my "Thirsty Thursday" post, I covered two standard white mats with fabric and framed the skyline of Atlanta (where he grew up) and of Charlotte (where he lives now).



Last, but most definitely not least, I successfully completed DIY Headboard #3.



To see how I finish and hang a DIY headboard, check out my first headboard post here.

All this, plus some, and here is what JMac will be coming home to:




From this...
To this...




I cannot wait to see/hear JMac's reaction! fingers crossed he likes everything! (PS...I was $125 under budget!)


**Update** 
I think he likes it!



1 comment: