Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Baby Steps: Lenny & Joes T-Shirt Quilt-Washing, Measuring, and Cutting (round 1)

There is a little place in a little town that I have a little (okay, big) obsession with.
I am not alone though; my parents, sister, aunt, uncle, and cousins all feel the same way.

It isn’t a fancy place; in fact it is just the opposite...The decor is minimal, the line to be seated is substantial, and the parking…a nightmare.
But, if you like the beach, a good lobster roll, and $5 t-shirts then I think you, like me (and my family), would love this little place.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/69484673/salt-air-hair-8x10?utm_campaign=Share&utm_medium=PageTools&utm_source=Pinterest
This little place (restaurant) is called Lenny & Joe’s and it’s in the little town of Westbrook, CT. We vacationed in Westbrook almost every summer when I was growing up. Lenny & Joe’s was always our go-to spot for dinner … and our parent’s go-to spot for happy hour(s).

 http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Overview/1033/lenny-joes-fish-tale

Oh, and those $5 t-shirts I mentioned, I have over 20 of them- all different colors, different years, different designs.

The other day I sorted through my dresser and got rid of things that I no longer wear. As much as I love L&J’s, most of the 20 t-shirts fell into this category. Throwing these shirts out is not an option- no way, no how… but I know that they are just wasting space in my drawers.

My solution:
I am going to step out of my comfort zone, turn on my sewing machine and attempt to make a Lenny & Joe’s t-shirt quilt

**Please Note** Sewing is not exactly my forte. I have never sewed anything other than straight curtain panels and square pillow covers…this is going to be a lengthy process!

In order to successfully tackle this project, I am going to need to take baby steps. So, instead of writing one big post when I am finished (hopefully that day comes) I am going to write mini-posts as I go.

Without further ado:

Lenny & Joes T-Shirt Quilt:  Washing, Measuring, and Cutting (round 1).

Wash: I washed and dried all of the shirts and then laid them out on the floor to see what I am working with.


Measure: I am using an 6” block and want to make a fullish-sized quilt (every website I looked at had different measurements for full-size…but it is around 84" x 90").
I put my super strong math skills to good use- scribbled down a complex formula, used my TI-83, and called my math teacher sister to confirm that I will need 110 8” blocks.
Just teasing: 
Width: 84”/6”=14
Length: 90”/6”=15
# of blocks needed: 14x15=210

Cut (round 1): Most of the t-shirts have a small logo on the front and large one on the back. I plan on using both sides for my blocks.
I cut each t-shirt in half so that the front and back are now separate.

Stay tuned!

2 comments: