Saturday, October 27, 2012

Lenny & Joe's T-Shirt Quilt- Finished!!

holy crap. I cannot believe it.

I am DONE with my Lenny & Joe's T-shirt quilt. Given my elementary sewing skills, I am rather shocked that I didn't end up with a quilt shaped like a trapezoid. I must be honest...this thing has got a whole lot of character. Not because it is made out of sentimental t-shirts, but because I am pretty certain there is not one line that is sewn straight. The squares don't line up, and the binding looks like I attached it with my eyes closed. But....I love it!


My last L&J T-shirt quilt post was about cutting out the logos and sewing the rows together - As I moved on in the process, I quickly realized that that was the easy part. The next step was to attach a border and then attach batting and backing to my rows. The final step was to bind the entire thing together.

I didn't take many photos of these steps because I was too tangled up in thread and fabric to do so, but I used a great tutorial to figure out what I was doing...Diary of a Quilter.

Attach a border:
This quilt is not a pretty quilt, and not because my rows don't line up (though, that is also a reason) but because there are fish on it...big ugly fish. It's a "fun" quilt not a "serious" quilt. This is why I used random pieces of fabric from some of my other projects to create my border:

My mom and a friend cutting my dress with swiss army knife..Note to self: If it is July and you are tailgating in North Carolina- do not wear a maxi dress..it is too hot! Note to you: check out the dude in the background!
Anyway: I created a border on my quilt using the same method I used to create and sew my rows together. Cut all of the fabric to the same width (since this is an eclectic quilt, I didn't care if the pieces were all the same length) and attach them together just like you did the pieces that make up the top of your quilt: pretty sides together and then sew together on the right hand edge....open and repeat. My picture tutorial of how to "sew rows together" can be found here.

Make four strips of fabric pieces that are a little bit longer than each side of your quilt. Attach the strips to to each side of the quilt by using the same method mentioned above.

Next Up: Basting the quilt

Sorry for the fancy language. Basting just means making a quilt sandwich: Backing/Batting/Quilt Top

Lay your backing on the ground (pretty side down). I used an old sheet (that kind of looks like a men's button down shirt...get it...T-shirt quilt), but you can use any cotton fabric you want. and lay your batting on top of your backing.

I used 100% cotton batting (it is the only thing I bought to make this quilt..woo hoo thrifty!)



Once you have the backing and batting laid out nice and smooth on the ground (which would be easier for me to accomplish if I didn't have a cat who thought she was the Queen of Sheba) lay your quilt top on top of the batting:






Next up: quilt this darn thing.

Since my rows were more evenly spaced than my columns, I only sewed horizontal lines to hold my quilt sandwich together. I started at the border and made my way up the quilt. I then sewed down (vertically) the edges the right and left edges. Here is a very elaborate drawing to help you understand...just kidding.

The blue lines indicate where I sewed.


Last and final step. Binding.

Binding hides all of your rough edges around the edges of your quilt. The Old Red Barn Co. Blog has the best binding tutorial out there. The only thing I did differently from this tutorial is machine sew, rather than hand sew, the binding to the front of my quilt.

Once you are done binding the quilt together you are done.
d.o.n.e!






1 comment: