Monday, October 29, 2012

Goodwill Finds

There are few things that get me more excited than finding a piece of furniture at the Goodwill or Salvation Army store that just needs a little TLC to go from drab to fab...okay, that may be an exaggeration, but it is pretty exciting.

My success rate was pretty high this weekend. I bought 3 pieces of furniture. Each piece was $1.99 and each is totally makeoverable (I made that word up).

I had time to finish sprucing the first piece I found...a bathroom shelf

Here is what it looked like before (that price tag says $1.99..woo hoo!)


and here is the after:


All I did was prime, paint, and polyurethane the shelf with the same primer, paint, and polyurethane that I used on Annie's dresser. (free)
Then I headed over to good ol' Home Depot and bought a super thin piece of plywood. I had an associate cut it down to size for me (19"x19") and left the store spending just over $4.

I had a little bit of burlap laying around that I attached to the wood using a staple gun (fold the fabric over the wood like you are wrapping a present and staple in the back) (free)

Using my level and my drill I replaced the ugly shelf that I had hanging in the bathroom with my new goodwill find.










------->










for a total of $6. 

Oh, and for those ladies out there that have makeup brushes shoved into a makeup bag or random bathroom drawer, take a look at the first shelf...

This is an awesome way to store your brushes so that they don't get bent out of shape in between uses. I think it looks kind of pretty too.



The square glass is from Michael's Arts & Crafts.
With the 40% coupon that comes out every week it cost $2.99 (why they don't just mark down the entire store by 40% and save paper is beyond me). The pebbles are from Ikea and cost $1.99.


1 comment: