Thursday, November 1, 2012

mini makeover and mixing patterns

I performed a RAD yesterday..you know, a random act of decorating.  Don't ask me why because I won't be able to tell you, but I randomly got off my couch walked over to my linen closet pulled out some old pillow shams and a red blanket that I had stuffed away. Apparently I felt that it was time to change the color scheme in my bedroom. I know, I am weird.

My mini bedroom makeover was free and was just enough change for me to feel like I created a new, fresh space. Which version of my bedroom do you like better?




My quick switch of shams got me thinking about mixing patterns. Combining stripes and flowers and checks can be a bit unnerving....especially if you are the matchy matchy kind. But, bringing different patterns and pops of color into a room give it more personality and energy. Here are my very unofficial rules on how to mix patterns

1) Use a multi-color pattern as your "base". Pull colors from that pattern into the rest of your room. 

2) It isn't necessary for all of your patterns to be made up of all the same colors. As long as they share similar tones and shades (mix pale colors with pale colors and deep tones with deep tones) you can mix to your heart's content. 

3) Vary the scale of your patterns. You don't want your prints to be competing for attention. A large floral pattern looks best next to a smaller check or pinstripe. 

4) Combine different textures and use your color scheme to marry them. The layering effect of mixing textures and patterns livens up a room.  Mix linen with cotton and velvet with silk...go for it, you have nothing to lose. 

Happy Friday!
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment